At 8:17am on Thursday, August 20th (right on schedule...and boy, does the planner in Mom LOVE that!) Kellan Mason joined the DeMeerleer family.


Thankfully the night before Grace went and stayed with Grammy and Poppa Tim so Chuck and I were able to get some extra sleep (knowing full well it would be the last night we might get a full-plate of sleep). But then it was up early and into the hospital since we were the first surgery/procedure of the day. Things seemed to be going well...it was all so much more relaxed and laidback than we remembered from the first time with Grace...until they were about to get started.
Abbie had been given her spinal and the surgery team was just waiting for things to get set, but unfortunately the never "set." Thank God for checking! Sure enough...the spinal never totally set-up, so they had to give me another "dose," wait for that to set and then were able to actually do the surgery. It was un-nerving, for sure, but thank goodness for my wonderful rock of a husband (who was also pretty worried, but put on a strong face to help me stay calm) and the Dr. Hall who kept me talking about Cougar sports so I wouldn't realize the time that was passing. :-)
Kellan came out hollaring, measured in at 8 pounds even, 20 1/2 inches long and perfect in everyway! Because I had my double-dose of numb-drugs...I took quite a bit longer in recovery and even once I got to go back to my room - couldn't feel/move my legs until almost 6pm that night.
Grace was on-hand to be one of the first to meet Kellan (in her "BIG SISTER" tshirt) and was immediately protective of him -- told the grandparents "No! He's my baby brother...you can't look at him!"
We survived the first night, and even got a total of about 5.5 hours sleep, and then prepared ourselves for visitors. We had some great family and friends come by and see our new little man...and then about 3pm...a setback. All the sudden I couldn't really get a breath of air and my right shoulder felt like someone was jabbing a knife into it. Not sure if it was an air bubble that had migrated post-surgery or possibly a blood clot - and not willing to take any chances - Kellan had to hang with the nurses while they took me for an emergency CT to check my lungs for any clots or embolisms. An hour later, we got the all-clear, but the pain hadn't subsided and was pretty awful. We got through the night...not pleasant, but survived. I'm pretty sure Dad and Kellan got almost a full night's sleep, but I certainly didn't...totally not fair!
This morning I got a FANTASTIC hot shower, which did help the shoulder ache and made me feel like a new person, got up a moving a bit more and the pain is down to a dull ache. Kellan is still doing very well and if all continues on the up-swing...hopefully this evening we'll get to go home.
I've added a picture slideshow of Kellan (on the right-hand bar) and here's a couple of those same shots for teasers!

Thanks so much to all our family and friends for the well-wishes and we look forward to having you meet Kellan in the near future!








1 comment:
congrats you guys!! I am sure once I see Grace at daycare we will here all about her baby brother. I hope all is well at home.
Post a Comment