29 September 2009

Baby, bugs, and back

So I'm already slacking at the blog with Kellan. I guess it was only a matter of time...a cliche that I'm hearing about a bunch of things that have been going on in our lives.
I guess the first was a visit by Auntie Liz. I had a free place ticket from last fall and it was about to expire, so after a quick change of name with the airline...she was on her way to come and see us, but more importantly...meet Kellan! The timing was perfect too because the day she arrived was the same day that Chuck left on a hunting/pack trip with his parents and Uncle Brian up in the Pasayten Wilderness. I admit - I try to be super-mom at times, but I was nervous about the prospect of managing Kellan and Grace on my own for a week. Well, it turned out to be more of a blessing to have Liz here than I could have realized because...

Swine flu. They are saying it's just a matter of time before you get it, especially if you've been in Pullman or anywhere on campus. Guilty on both counts...so guess it shouldn't have been too shocked when Grace spiked a fever. But then it last for 4.5 days, along with a cough, sore throat, and runny nose. Unfortunately it hit 2 days before Liz left, so she spent nights up late with me checking Grace's temp, alternating Tylenol & Motrin, wiping her nose and just helping her get through a VERY miserable time.

Now before Kellan, I had been fighting lower back pain. After an MRI, we discovered I had 3 bulging discs - yikes & ouch!!!! So I started physical therapy to get things under control and after about 3 months of therapy...I found out I was pregnant. Therapy kinda went out the window after that...and the pregnancy kind of helped by throwing my back into the correct positioning, but my brother-in-law (a physical therapist) said he thought it "would only be a matter of time" before my back had an episode again. Well, on top of Grace being very sick and Liz heading home (before Chuck was back) so I was on my own -- I tried to move the garbage out and instead...threw my back out. It was HORRIBLE!!! I couldn't walk, crawl, and the worst - I couldn't pick up Kellan. Thankfully before it really seized up...I called Grammy Barb and she was able to stay for a few days and help out, as well as Grandma Cheryl too. The doctor squeezed me in and could see the pain I was in, as well as the spazms in my back, so initial treatment -- 3 days FLAT on my back with heavy medication. I did pretty well for about 2 days, but then made my way back to my recliner. It's getting a little better...but the spazms definitely haven't let up, walking is still stiff and painful (but managed) and I go to the doctor tomorrow to figure out what's next. I have to admit...I don't know if I've ever been as thankfully to have family so close as I have been throughout this debacle!!

So Kellan update -- new pic's in the slideshow and a couple here -- he's eating a TON and growing to prove it...just shy of 12 pounds (of not there and I just don't realize it). He's also awake quite a bit more and loves to look around all over so we (well, Chuck or one of the grandmas who's here helping) take him on walks throughout the house. He has also developed good head control...can hold it up on his own and when he's on "tummy time" he can turn it from side to side and is starting to do the "inchworm." The other thing we've found is HOW much he loves to swing...he'll look around for a bit before - lights out! He also LOVES to snuggle and be cuddled...which is funny because as a baby, Grace hated being swaddled or cuddled too tight.

All in all...it's been a crazy week and a half around here, but we're coming out the otherside - and hopefully...if the doctor appointment goes well tomorrow...we'll be on the mend.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Abbie,

Kellan is just sooooo dang cute!! I miss you all so much! I wish I were there to meet your new little man!